AMSA/GLMA LGBTQ Health Achievement Award
Created in 1999, the AMSA/GLMA Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) Health Achievement Award has showcased efforts in the advancement and inclusion of LGBTQ health issues throughout the health profession and patient care. AMSA and GLMA members can nominate multiple schools, groups, individuals, or other entities that have successfully advocated for acknowledgement or equality relating to LGBTQ health issues. Previous award winners have been commended for their impact on health education, patient care, or improving the environment for LGBTQ students.
The overarching goal of this award is provide national recognition to those contributing to the advancement of LGBTQ community as well as showcase their models of success at their institution. It is our hope that these advancements inspire and promote equal opportunities for all members of the LGBTQ community.
Any school, group or individual who has achieved exemplary success in advocating for the inclusion and advancement of LGBTQ issues.
Nomination & Selection Process
- Nominations close on February 18, 2022.
- AMSA and GLMA members can submit nominations through the online nominations form above.
- You may nominate more than one school, group or individual.
- All nominations will be blinded prior to selection committee review.
- The selection committee will be comprised of AMSA and GLMA Leaders.
Award recipients are selected for:
- Demonstrated positive impact on health education, patient care, and/or environment for LGBTQ students, faculty and patients within institutions and beyond;
- Innovative means by which goals are achieved and success is sustained; and
- How any barriers encountered while advocating for the inclusion and advancement of LGBTQ health issues within their institutions and beyond are overcome.
Presentation & Award
- Awards will be presented at the 2022 AMSA Annual Convention & Exposition and 2022 GLMA Annual Conference on LGBTQ Health.
- Award recipients will be presented with an elegant glass trophy.
- Award recipients will receive one complimentary registration to the AMSA Convention and GLMA Annual Conference on LGBTQ Health.
- Award recipients will be highlighted in The New Physician (TNP) as well as on AMSA’s and GLMA’s websites and social media pages.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2021 Teddy G. Goetz, MD, MS, Columbia University College of Medicine
2020 Michael Solotke, Yale School of Medicine
2019 Masina Wright, University of New England College of Medicine
2018 Shana Zucker, Tulane University School of Medicine
2017 Nix Sitkin, Yale School of Medicine
2016 Southern California LGBT Health Conference
2015 The Equality Clinic of Augusta
2014 Sean Tai, Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine – Virginia Campus
2013 Kristen Eckstrand from Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
2012 Bobby Kelly, MEd, Drexel University College of Medicine Class of 2012
2011 Neir Eshel and Michael Honigberg and the entire Harvard Medical School Kinsey Two Sixers LGBTQ and Ally Group
2010 University of Kentucky Health Occupation Professionals for Equality (UK HOPE)/University of Kentucky AMSA Chapter
2009 Brown University Medicine School
2008 Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
2007 Jessica Wang and UMASS Faculty Advisor Emily Ferrara, University of Massachusetts Medical School
2006 Association of Gay, Lesbian, and Ally Medical Students and AMSA Chapter at the UMDNJ, RWJ
2005 Univ of Michigan Medical School, Bisexuals, Gays, Lesbians and Allies in Medicine
2004 Medical College of Georgia Lambda Alliance
2003 Univ of Southern California SOM, MedGLO news
2002 Albany Medical College, LGBTPM
2001 University of Pennsylvania SOM, SOMA & LGBPM
2000 New York University SOM, Peter Chien, Jr.
1999 University of Washington SOM